- LatestEthiopian activist honoured for 97% FGM reduction
- Latest2,000 Malagasy women 'develop fistula each year'
- LatestHip-hop artist warns Senegal pupils about FGM
- LatestStrengthening Midwifery Care – Global Symposium (26-27 May 2013)
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) is the only worldwide organisation that groups obstetricians and gynecologists. It has member associations in 125 countries/territories. Its Secretariat is based in London, the UK.
FIGO’s mission is to promote the wellbeing of women and to raise the standards of practice in obstetrics and gynecology.
It has grown from an organisation representing 42 national societies - who attended the founding meeting on 26 July 1954 in Geneva, Switzerland - into a truly global organisation. It is a benevolent, non-profit organisation funded through subscriptions received from member societies, grants and the proceeds of its triennial World Congress.
The governance of The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics is set out in its Constitution and Bye-Laws.
A Chief Executive manages the day to day operations of the Charity.
• This comprises six officers and representatives of 24 member societies.
• It determines policy and is responsible for administration.
• Face-to-face meetings are infrequent, and much of the business is transacted by correspondence, email and fax.
• It meets once a year and the officers at least twice yearly.
• Takes place every three years at the time of the triennial World Congress and is composed of delegates from each member association.
• It hears reports, approves the accounts and elects the officers and new members of the Executive Board for the ensuing three-year term.
• The most recent General Assembly took place in Cape Town, South Africa, in October 2009. The next will take place in Rome, Italy, in 2012. All registered participants at the Congress are welcome to attend the sessions of the General Assembly.
The original Swiss Federation – whose registered address is rue du 31 Decembre, Geneva, Switzerland – was incorporated under the Swiss Civil Code in 1954. A UK Registered Charity – International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (Registered Charity No 1113263; Company No 5498067) – registered in England and Wales was established in June 2005 and became fully operational on 1 January 2008. It is a company limited by guarantee and governed by its Memorandum and Articles of Association.
FIGO Trading Limited (Company No 5895905), also registered in England and Wales, is a wholly owned commercial trading subsidiary of the UK Registered Charity. The Registered Office of both the UK Registered Charity and FIGO Trading Limited is FIGO House, Suite 3, Waterloo Court, 10 Theed Street, London SE1 8ST, United Kingdom.
The FIGO Charitable Foundation is a US 501(c)(3) corporation incorporated in the State of Illinois, USA on 28 November 2001 as a Not for Profit Corporation. (EIN No 98-0362884). The Registered Office of the FIGO Charitable Foundation is 222 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2600, Chicago, Illinois 60601, USA.
World Congress 2015