- LatestUnicef says communities 'key' to ending FGM in Africa
- LatestNigerian midwifery scheme has 'tremendously reduced' maternal deaths
- LatestMaternal mortalities 'on the rise' in Belgaum, India
- Latest‘People to People’ announces obstetrics and gynecology delegations to India and Costa Rica
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
Committee for Fistula
chaired by Lord Naren Patel
Approved Terms of Reference
•To co-ordinate effectively FIGO’s activities in the field of fistula treatment and prevention.
•To produce effective proposals for the possible expansion and enhancement of the invaluable work undertaken in the prevention and treatment of fistula.
•To co-ordinate the production of a competency-based training manual aimed at trainers and individual practitioners in low- and middle-income countries.
•To continue liaison with UNFPA and others on the establishment of training centres and dedicated fistula hospitals in Africa and elsewhere.
•To work with allied organisations – including UNFPA – on projects devoted to the prevention and treatment of fistula.
•To monitor and evaluate third-party projects supported currently or in the future by FIGO (such as the AMREF project in Tanzania).
•Unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, to involve FIGO member societies where relevant in the activities proposed for their countries.
•To recommend ways in which FIGO and its constituent societies can collaborate with national governments and other organisations to reduce unacceptably high levels of fistula in their countries. This should include, where appropriate, collaboration with member societies in countries with a high incidence and/or expertise in fistula.
•The Committee should encourage and coordinate South to South collaboration where relevant and appropriate.
The Lord Patel (Chair)
Dr Hamid Rushwan (Co-Chair)
Dr Andrew Browning
Dr Thomas Raassen
Dr Suzy Elneil
Dr Mulu Muleta