- LatestMaternal mortalities 'on the rise' in Belgaum, India
- LatestUpgraded Tanzanian health centre records zero maternal deaths
- LatestEgyptian stance on FGM condemned by children's rights group
- Latest‘People to People’ announces obstetrics and gynecology delegations to India and Costa Rica
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
Become a member association
FIGO is the only worldwide organisation that groups obstetricians and gynecologists. It has grown from an organisation representing 42 national societies - who attended the founding meeting on 26 July 1954, in Geneva - into a worldwide organisation representing obstetricians and gynecologists in 125 countries or territories.
Membership is open to the national society or national federation of any country representing the obstetricians and gynecologists of that country. If your country or territory is not yet affiliated to FIGO and you wish to apply on behalf of your organisation for membership, the criteria for membership are as follows:
National societies or associations of obstetrics and gynecology wishing to apply for membership of the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) must send the following documents to the FIGO President at the FIGO Secretariat:
- An official letter signed by the President of the society or association requesting affiliation to FIGO·
- A report on the activities of the society or association carried out in the preceding twelve months
- A completed application form (click here to email the FIGO Secretariat for this)
- A copy (in English, French or Spanish) of the Constitution and Bye-Laws of the society or association
- A list of names and contact details (including email addresses) of the Council/Board of the society or association
- A complete list of names and contact details of members of the society or association
- A declaration of the society’s or association’s intention to abide by the Constitution of FIGO
- An undertaking to make financial contributions to FIGO in such form and within such time limits as may be decided by FIGO
Applications for membership of FIGO are reviewed by the FIGO Officers and then, assuming the FIGO Officers are supportive, reviewed by the FIGO Executive Board at its annual meeting.
Applications that are found to comply with FIGO’s regulations and objectives will be submitted by the FIGO Executive Board to the FIGO General Assembly with a recommendation for official ratification.
The FIGO General Assembly takes place every three years on the occasion of the FIGO World Congress. Between provisional acceptance by the FIGO Executive Board and official ratification at the FIGO General Assembly, the applying society or association will receive the benefits available to full members of FIGO.