- LatestMaternal mortalities 'on the rise' in Belgaum, India
- LatestUpgraded Tanzanian health centre records zero maternal deaths
- LatestEgyptian stance on FGM condemned by children's rights group
- Latest‘People to People’ announces obstetrics and gynecology delegations to India and Costa Rica
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
Perpetrators of FGM in Australia 'charging for their services'
Many of those who secretly perform female genital mutilation (FGM) in Australia are charging money for their services, a religious leader has claimed.
According to Imam Afroz Ali, it is not uncommon for perpetrators of the crime to demand money, reports ABC News.
This, he said, could be as much as $3,000, even when they are not actually qualified to perform surgical procedures.
"These are women from a village who have migrated to Australia and have access to a razor blade and are considered to be an elder or wise person in their community," he commented.
Mr Ali added that FGM is being performed clandestinely in various parts of the country.
The World Health Organization has described the procedure as violation of females' human rights and a practice that can lead to multiple health problems.
For instance, it believes victims are more likely to become infertile or perhaps experience complications in childbirth.
Posted by David Smith