- Latest14,000 take part in Niger 'public vow' to end FGM
- LatestUK girls in danger as FGM 'cutting season' approaches
- LatestRate of decline in maternal deaths 'needs to double' to meet MDG 5
- LatestStrengthening Midwifery Care – Global Symposium (26-27 May 2013)
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
FIGO Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Initiative
For many years, adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) has been overlooked as a major component of the global burden of sexual ill-health. International agencies such as the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as international and national non-governmental organisations (NGO), are now focusing on improving ASRH and on providing programmatic funding for interventions.
About the FIGO Initiative
FIGO has been working with UNFPA on ASRH Regional Workshops, the objectives of which have been to review information from the FIGO KAP survey for gynecologists regarding attitudes to ASRH, and to appraise the youth literature review regarding youth attitudes; to discuss available tools for ASRH services, which are made available in the review; and to develop a regional framework for ASRH services which could be further adapted to the national level with involvement from the national ob/gyn society and other stakeholders, who should help in developing workplans and supporting the implementation of these plans.
FIGO’s aim is to strengthen the capacity of FIGO member associations to support ASRH interventions at the national level. This aim complements FIGO’s wider objective of strengthening its capacity to support national societies and, alongside this, increasing national societies’ capacity to play a major role in advocacy, training, policy development and reproductive health programmes.
See workshop sections above, left, and general resources.
World Congress 2015