- LatestUS backs efforts to tackle spread of HIV/Aids in Uganda
- LatestChange in law 'will not eradicate FGM in Ethiopia'
- LatestCases of FGM 'often unreported in Britain'
- LatestRegistration open for the Global Congress on Maternal Nutrition: G-COMN 2014
- LatestFIGO supports World Health Day 2014
- LatestWellbeing of Women and FIGO announce Academic Fellowship
FIGO Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Initiative
FIGO Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) Initiative
Donor: the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Project contact: Professor Hamid Rushwan
Background: Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) is a major component of the global burden of sexual ill-health, which has been historically overlooked. International agencies are now rightly focusing on improving ASRH and providing programmatic funding. There are currently innumerable health and social challenges facing youth of all countries, and it is time to improve our understanding of them, and to focus our energies on the alleviation of these problems. Most importantly, obstetricians and gynecologists - through their national associations and through FIGO at the international level - have an important role to play in the advancement of ASRH services
Project aims: Its aim is to strengthen the capacity of FIGO member associations to support ASRH interventions at the national level, complementing FIGO’s wider objective of strengthening its capacity to support national societies and, alongside this, increasing national societies’ capacity to play a major role in advocacy, training, policy development and reproductive health programmes.
Collaborating organisations/countries involved: India, Sudan, Turkey, Chile, Tunisia and Kenya.