- LatestMaternal mortalities 'on the rise' in Belgaum, India
- LatestUpgraded Tanzanian health centre records zero maternal deaths
- LatestEgyptian stance on FGM condemned by children's rights group
- Latest‘People to People’ announces obstetrics and gynecology delegations to India and Costa Rica
- LatestNew to download: FIGO Newsletter, May 2013
- Latest‘Midwives key in the fight against maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality’
Reduction of maternal and newborn mortality in Kosovo
Conclusion date: 31 December 2010
Please click here for the final evaluation report.
The Kosovo Obstetrical Gynaecology Association (KOGA) aims to strengthen the organisation and management of KOGA and the Kosovo Midwives Association (KMA) to improve the quality of maternal and neonatal healthcare, and to create a partnership between KOGA and KMA, as well as with women’s civil society organisations. The clinical component of the project is based in three institutions: the regional hospitals of Gjakova and Prizren, and the tertiary centre of the University Clinical Centre of Kosovo (UCCK) in Pristina. The main activities are the provision of training, conferences and continuing medical education, and the development and implementation of protocols, a strategic plan and a health information system. The final phase has a community awareness component.
- A team of seven instructors is able to deliver the ALARM International Program* (AIP). This has been provided in Gjakova and Pristina.
- Development of 11 protocols dealing with the management of obstetric and neonatal complications.
- Reduction of transfers, particularly for pre-term delivery, as staff now have clear protocols.
- Working with the Ministry of Health and providing expertise (it has adopted some of KOGA’s strategy).
- A very well connected and strong society.
* The ALARM International Program (AIP) is a five-day training program in emergency obstetrics, sexual and reproductive rights and maternal death audits that has been produced by the SOGC.
Twinned country: The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC)