Ferdousi Begum is a candidate for the position of FIGO Regional Trustee Asia - Oceania 2021–2023.
Read the video transcript in English, French and Spanish.
Access the original biography provided by the candidate.
- FCPS (Fellow of College of Physicians and Surgeons), Obstetrics & Gynaecology; College of Physicians and Surgeons (BCPS), Bangladesh (1991)
- MBBS (Degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery), Faculty of Medicine; Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka University, Bangladesh (1981)
Dissertation / Thesis
- Outcome of Labour in Primigravidae (FCPS): Cross-sectional study using Partograph.
- Effect of Clomiphene Citrate & Metformin on PCOS (PhD, University of Dhaka): Randomised Controlled Trial (submitted).
Serving in Top Most Private Medical College on Bangladesh (2014- till date).
Government (Public) Service: 1981-2014. Clinical Services, Teaching and Training, Research, Supervision & Monitoring(1981-2021). VAW & Empowerment of Women, Gender Issues, WFHI (Women Friendly Hospital Initiative).Administrative and Human Resource Management (1981-2015). EmONC program (1994-2019): (GOB, UNICEF, OGSB) in Bangladesh and Afghanistan (2000-2001). Stillbirths, Preterm Birth, Newborn health (1992-2019, Adolescent Health (1998-2019). Menopause and Geriatrics, Nutrition, NCD, Prevention of Cervical and Breast Cancer. HIV /AIDS, PPTCT, PEP, SRH, Infection Prevention (IP)(2008-9). Communication, counseling, BCC, SBCC (2004-17). CSBA (Community Based Skilled Birth Attendant) (2000-12). Midwifery:2007- 2014. Proactive Supportive Supervision for CSBAs: 2006; Leadership:2006, Health Management. IEC Material Development: 1998-2021. Clinical Algorithms and Clinical Management Protocol Development: (2006-2012). Post Natal Care: microplanning.MDSR & SAAM: 1989-2021; Fistula. Prevention and Screening of Cervical & Breast Cancer. Breastfeeding & IYCF. Comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC) including Medical Abortion (MRM)& Menstrual Regulation (MR). Post abortion care (PAC). Contraception including Post abortion and Postpartum contraception: Focal point of FIGO INITIATIVE OF REDUCING BURDEN OF UNSAFE ABORTION, BANGLADESH. Anaemia and micronutrient as part of climate-driven food insecurity: National Policy Level Activities. International and Regional Policy Level Activities. Organising Capacity. National and International Campaigns: Quality Improvement. Philanthropic Activities. Role in Media, Organiser.
2014–current date: Professor, Obs & Gynae, Ibrahim Medical College & BIRDEM Hospital
2012–2014: Professor, Obs & Gynae, Sir Salimullah Medical College
2001–2012: Associate professor, OBGYN, Rajshahi, Sir Salimullah & Dhaka MC, ICMH
1995–2001: Assistant Professor, OBGYN, Shaheed Suhrawardi & Sir Salimullah Med College
2000, 2001: Consultant (on Lien & leave from MOHFW, BD), UNICEF, Afghanistan Country Office and MoPH, Afghanistan
1981–2001: Resident Surgeon, Registrar, Assistant Registrar, Medical Officer, In Service Trainee, Dhaka Medical College Hosp, Shaheed Suhrawardi & Sir Salimullah Medical College, Manikgonj DH, Daulatpur & Batiaghata UHC
Professional Training and Workshops: Extensive Training on Research Methodology, Multi country extensive Training on Teaching Methodology
Research and Publication - Publications in peer reviewed J-77; Chapter in Books 4; Other Research Activities, Consultancies and Reports 16; Experience in development of curricula, Manuals and National strategies-48
Membership of Professional Bodies
- President, South Asian Federation of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (SAFOG)
- President, Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society of Bangladesh (OGSB) (Previously President Elect, Vice President & Past Secretary General),
- President, Society of Gestosis, Bangladesh Chapter
- Member: ISOFS (International Society of Fistula Surgeons), Member, Bangladesh Association for Maternal and Neonatal Health (BAMANEH), Member, Dhaka Medical College Alumni Association, Vice President, EC, OGSB Maternity Hospital and IRCH, Dhaka; Bangladesh Perinatal Society (BPS);
- Founder Member, Bangladesh Society of Fertility and Sterility (SFSB); Menopause Society of Bangladesh (BMS),Public Health Foundation of Bangladesh(PHFBD); OGSB Fistula Foundation, Bangladesh
- Life Member, Bangladesh Society of Endocrinology (BSE), Bangladesh Medical Association (BMA); Life Member, Bangladesh Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy
Co-chairman, Journal Committee, Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons. 2021-23,
Editor, Journal of OGSB, Bangladesh J of Obstetrics & Gyaecology, 2017-19.
Editor, J of Bangladesh Perinatal Society, 2014-18
Assistant Editor, Journal of OGSB, Bang J of Obstetrics & Gyaecology, 2012-16
Affiliation in National and International Advisory group
Member TAG, Adolescent Health and DGHS, MOHFW; Technical Sub-Committee for Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH Quality Improvement Secretariat) under the South-East Asia Region Technical Advisory Group (SEAR-TAG) for Women’s and Children’s Health, WHO. Focal Point for Bangladesh, FIGO Initiative of Prevention of Unsafe Abortion. Member, Expert Panel for the revision of the FIGO intrapartum fetal monitoring guidelines
Affiliation with IRB: Member IRB, BIRDEM, Former Member, ENRH Committee, Bangladesh Medical Research Council, Dhaka, Former member RHR, WHO 2007-8, Member Ethical Review Committee, ICDDRB, 2019-2023.
Languages: Bangla (Mother Tongue), English: Proficient in reading, writing, speaking and understanding, Hindi & Urdu:speaking and understanding
Computer Skill: MS Office, SPSS. EPI-Info. Internet browsing
Reviewer of International Journals
- International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics ijgo, Impact Factor 3.1
- IJGO Top Reviewer, 2019–2020
- Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition jhpn
Training course/workshops/seminar/conferences Attended/ Invited Speaker, Home and abroad: Since 1992-till date: More than 250 including FIGO, RCOG, AOFOG, FOGSI, SLCOG, BCPS, WHO, UNICEF, Save the Children, Population Council, Ipas, GTZ, AOGIN, AMI, AIIMS, CIRH, AFSOG, SOJP, NESOG.
Working Experience with International Organizations: WHO (HQ, SEARO, EMRO), UNICEF, UNFPA, CIDA, GTZ, Save the children, SIDA, USAIDS, BRAC, CIPRB, ICDDRB
Extensive Experience as teacher/ National trainer
Countries Visited- 30
USA, UK, Canada, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, South Korea, Cambodia, Honking, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Dubai/UAE, Turkey, Afghanistan, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France.