Baby dies after receiving kiss infection

A newborn baby died after being passed an infection through her mother's kiss, it has been reported.

Eleven-day-old Jennifer Schofield suffered from organ failure after being infected with Herpes Simplex Virus, which was passed on to her through a cold sore.

Mother Ruth, 35, from Lancaster, had been feeling ill for several days previously and later received medical treatment for her infection.
She told an inquest of her heartbreak and devastation at the death of her daughter.

"It's more than a year since she died but the pain has not lessened," she stated.

Mrs Schofield has written to prime minister Gordon Brown calling for greater warnings for pregnant mothers about the risk of passing such viruses on to newborn babies.

She says more needs to be done to raise public awareness, as the virus can affect anyone without them being aware of it.

Around six babies a year die as a result of receiving the Herpes Simplex Virus, it is believed.ADNFCR-2094-ID-19050354-ADNFCR