- LatestUS backs efforts to tackle spread of HIV/Aids in Uganda
- LatestChange in law 'will not eradicate FGM in Ethiopia'
- LatestCases of FGM 'often unreported in Britain'
- LatestRegistration open for the Global Congress on Maternal Nutrition: G-COMN 2014
- LatestFIGO supports World Health Day 2014
- LatestWellbeing of Women and FIGO announce Academic Fellowship
Mission & Vision Statement
A copy of FIGO's STRATEGIC PLAN 2013-2016 is available here.
FIGO has a vision that women of the world achieve the highest possible standards of Physical, Mental, Reproductive and Sexual Health and Wellbeing throughout their lives.
The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) shall be a professional organisation that brings together obstetrical and gynecological associations from all over the world.
FIGO shall be dedicated to the improvement of women's health and rights, and to the reduction of disparities in healthcare available to women and newborns, as well as to advancing the science and practice of obstetrics and gynecology. The organisation shall pursue its mission through advocacy, programmatic activities, capacity strengthening of member associations, education and training.
The values of the organisation shall be those of innovative leadership, integrity, transparency, professionalism, respect for cultural diversity and high scientific and ethical standards.
FIGO shall be committed to:
- Encouraging all efforts for raising the status of women and for advancing their role in all issues related to women's health.
- Promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights and services through education, research and advocacy, as well as through the provision of accessible, efficient, affordable, sustainable and comprehensive reproductive health services.
- Emphasising the importance of achieving the Millennium Development Goals by 2015, FIGO is committed to accelerating its efforts and activities to reach MDG targets, especially in the area of safe motherhood and newborn health.
- Continually upgrading the practice of gynecology and obstetrics through research, education and training, and by maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and scientific and ethical standards.
- Improving communication with and between member associations and building the capacities of those from low-resource countries through strengthening leadership, management, good practice and the promotion of policy dialogues.
- Strengthening capacities to enable societies to play a pivotal role in the development and implementation of sustainable programmes aimed at the improvement of care available to women and newborns, especially for poor and underserved populations.
- Recognising the importance of collaborative efforts for advancing women's health and rights, FIGO is committed to strengthening partnerships with other international professional organisations, UN agencies, and the public/private sector to achieve its objectives.