Internationally, FIGO is high profile and well regarded - for over 60 years it has collaborated with the world’s top health and donor bodies eg the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation etc.
FIGO has a vision that women of the world achieve the highest possible standards of physical, mental, reproductive and sexual health and wellbeing throughout their lives.
FIGO is a professional organisation that brings together obstetrical and gynecological associations from all over the world.
FIGO is dedicated to the improvement of women’s health and rights and to the reduction of disparities in healthcare available to women and newborns, as well as to advancing the science and practice of obstetrics and gynecology.
The organisation pursues its mission through advocacy, programmatic activities, capacity strengthening of Member Associations, education and training.
FIGO’s overall goals are:
- to improve the health and wellbeing of women and newborn children worldwide;
- to raise the status of women and enable their active participation to achieve their reproductive and sexual rights with access to efficient education and services throughout their life cycle;
- and to upgrade the practice of obstetrics and gynecology through education, training and research to maintain a high standard of professionalism and ethical adherence
FIGO’s considerable global achievements include a staging system for gynecologic tumours (used in hospitals worldwide); ethical guidelines; harmonisation of scientific terminology; numerous General Assembly resolutions; and various major maternal and newborn health initiatives funded by major global donor bodies.
- Encouraging all efforts for raising the status of women and for advancing their role in all issues related to women’s health
- Promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights and services through education, research and advocacy, as well as through the provision of accessible, efficient, affordable, sustainable and comprehensive reproductive health services
- Emphasising the importance of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) - FIGO is committed to accelerating its efforts and activities to reach SDG targets, especially in the area of safe motherhood and newborn health
- Continually upgrading the practice of gynecology and obstetrics through research, education and training, and by maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and scientific and ethical standards
- Improving communication with and between Member Associations and building the capacities of those from low-resource countries through strengthening leadership, management, good practice and the promotion of policy dialogues
- Strengthening capacities to enable societies to play a pivotal role in the development and implementation of sustainable programmes aimed at the improvement of care available to women and newborns, especially for poor and underserved populations
- Recognising the importance of collaborative efforts for advancing women’s health and rights - FIGO is committed to strengthening partnerships with other international professional organisations, UN agencies, and the public/private sector to achieve its objectives