FIGO Vision, Mission and Commitments
FIGO is a professional organisation that brings together obstetrical and gynecological associations from all over the world.
We are in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO) and a consultative status with the United Nations (UN).
FIGO has a vision that women of the world achieve the highest possible standards of physical, mental, reproductive and sexual health and wellbeing throughout their lives.
FIGO is dedicated to the improvement of women’s health and rights and to the reduction of disparities in healthcare available to women and newborns, as well as to advancing the science and practice of obstetrics and gynecology.
The organisation pursues its mission through leading global programme activities, with a particular focus on sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and South East Asia.
In addition, we advocate on a global stage, especially in relation to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) pertaining to reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and non-communicable diseases (SDG3). We also work to raise the status of women and enable their active participation to achieve their reproductive and sexual rights, including addressing FGM and gender based violence (SDG5).
FIGO provides education and training for our 132 Member Societies to build capacities of those from low-resource countries through strengthening leadership, good practice and promotion of policy dialogues.
FIGO’s overall goals are:
- to improve the health and wellbeing of women and newborn children worldwide;
- to raise the status of women and enable their active participation to achieve their reproductive and sexual rights with access to efficient education and services throughout their life cycle;
- and to upgrade the practice of obstetrics and gynecology through education, training and research to maintain a high standard of professionalism and ethical adherence
FIGO’s considerable global achievements include a staging system for gynecologic tumours (used in hospitals worldwide); ethical guidelines; harmonisation of scientific terminology; numerous General Assembly resolutions; and various major maternal and newborn health initiatives funded by major global donor bodies.
- Strengthen and support the regional federations of obstetrics and gynaecology to promote mutual cooperation and engagement that align with FIGO goals.
- Reduce global maternal morbidity and mortality.
- Strengthen the capacity of national member societies by supporting and empowering them to play a pivotal role in influencing practice and policies in their countries.
- Eliminate cervical cancer.
- Support and advocate for universal health coverage, including evidence-based preventive care, environmental health, and access to emergency, medical and surgical care for all women and girls.
- Encourage all efforts to empower women and girls and promote gender equality by maximising their potential through education, health and economic strategies.
- Disseminate current evidence in the field of obstetrics and gynaecology through diverse platforms.
- Ensure sexual and reproductive health and rights by supporting the provision of accessible, affordable, sustainable and comprehensive health services.
- Empower clinicians as leaders to promote scientific and policy dialogues in women and girls’ health and rights.
- Promote the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly 3 and 5. FIGO will further all SDGs to empower women and girls, eliminate poverty, improve the health and wellbeing of women and children, and eliminate environmental degradation.