Shantha Kumari is a candidate for the position of FIGO Honorary Treasurer 2021–2023.
Read the video transcript in English, French and Spanish.
Access the original biography provided by the candidate.
President FOGSI (Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India) 2021-2022
Prof. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
Sr. Laparoscopic Surgeon
I am a certified gynaecologist and obstetrician, specialising in laparoscopy and high-risk obstetrics. In 2016, I initiated a campaign, DHEERA on No to 'violence against women' (VAW) as a member of FIGO Working Group on No to VAW.
FRCOG- Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, UK
FRCPI– Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians Ireland (RCPI)
FICOG- Fellow of Indian College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of India (ICOG)
DNB- Diplomate from National Board of Examinations
MD- Kasturba Medical College Manipal, India
MBBS- Gandhi Medical College Hyderabad, India
Consultant, Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
- Member of the Specialist Advisory Board in Obstetrics and Gynaecology constituted by
- the National Board of Exams since 2018.
- 20 years as Postgraduate Teacher & Examiner
- MBBS, MS & MRCPI OB & GYN Examiner
- President FOGSI (Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India) 2021- 2022
- Chairperson Indian College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (ICOG) 2018-2019
- Secretary Indian College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (ICOG) 2015 – 2017
- Member of FIGO Working Group for 'No' to Violence Against Women (VAW) 2015 - 2018
- Member of FIGO Committee for Human Rights, Refugees and Violence Against Women 2018 - 2021
- Vice President of Federation of Obstetric & Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI) 2013
- ICOG Governing Council Member 2012 - 2015
- IAGE Managing Committee Member 2012– 2018 (Indian Association of Gynaecological Endoscopists)
- Chairperson Clinical Education Committee IMS 2015-2016 (Indian Menopause Society)
- National Corresponding Editor for The Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of India 2011-13
- Secretary TCOGS 2015 -2018
- FOGSI Chairperson Medical Norms Nomenclature Records Research Committee 2008 – 2010
- Secretary - Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society of Hyderabad for the year 2011-12
- VP, Treasurer & Joint Secretary Post in Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society of Hyderabad
- MOGS – Dr. Ganatra Charitable Medical Center Award 2021
- OGSH Lifetime Achievement Award 2020
- MOGS Mr. N.A. Pandit & Mrs. Shailaja N. Pandit Award 2020
- The Pride of FOGSI Award 2019
- FOGSI Star Award 2017
- Yuva FOGSI Kamini Rao Orator – South Zone Award 2007
- C. L. Jhaveri Award at 42nd AICOG Award 1998
- Young Scientist Award at National IAHR 1997
Conferences & Workshops
Organizing Secretary of the ‘54th AICOG’ – All India Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Hyderabad 2011 with a record-shattering 10,000 delegates
- Organizing Secretary of ISAR 2020
- Organizing Chairperson of FOGSI TIAOG, Hyderabad 2019
- Organizing Chairperson of FOGSI ICOG PPP, Hyderabad 2018
- Organizing Secretary of FOGSI FIGO International Congress on Clinical Challenges Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2017
- FOGSI Dheera Initiative 'NO' TO VAW
- Organizing Secretary of FOGSI ICOG Fertility Regulation, Hyderabad 2016 ;International Conference on Pregnancy in High-Risk Patients 2015; FOGSI FIGO International Conference on Recent Advances In Obstetrics &Gynecology 2013; International Conference on Infertility 2012; ‘IAGE 2009 Conference’, Hyderabad 2009
- Organizing various CME’s & Workshops under MNNRRC Committee, FOGSI 2008-2011
- Treasurer of the ‘OGSH Annual Conference YUKTI 2009’, Hyderabad 2009
- Organizing Co-Chairperson for ‘OGSH Annual Conference YUKTI 2008’, Hyderabad 2008: ‘Workshop on HIV - Operational zing implementation of PPTCT services in the Private sector’, 2008
- Organizing Co-Chairperson of the ‘DAKSHIN 2007‘
- Organizing Co-Chairperson of the ‘FOGSI Satellite Conference on Pre-Eclampsia & PPH’, 2007
- ‘A walk to commemorate FOGSI Girl Childs Day’, 2007
- “Obstetric Drills”, 2007
- Organizing Secretary of the ‘Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society of Hyderabad (OGSH)’ ‘Annual Conference’-2006: ‘Laparoscopy Live Workshop’ - 2006: ‘YUVA FOGSI’ – South Zone Conference – 2005: ICOG Workshop on ‘Non-Descent Vaginal Hysterectomy & Urinary Stress Incontinence’-2005: ‘Labour Workshop’- 2005.
Presented many papers, has many Publications .An invited faculty and delivered talks and many orations in various national and international conferences.
As a member of FIGO working group on No to Violence Against Women (VAW), I spearheaded a Campaign called DHEERA, which means Courage.
DHEERA is an ongoing campaign, which reflects 'No' to Violence Against Women (VAW). Through FIGO-FOGSI, to raise public awareness in India on 'Violence Against Women' (VAW), we partnered with key stakeholders like women’s welfare National Commission for Women, State Commission for Women, State Police, and hospitals. A large voluntary public participation and celebrity support over the years has further helped in the wide dissemination of the No to VAW message to large numbers in society.
Cyclathon 2016, Bikeathon 2017, A March to say 'NO' TO VAW 2018, Flash mobs, Street plays, Public posters. At FLASOG 2017 in Cancun, Mexico, we had organized a DHEERA Press conference for all Latin American Societies.
I was instrumental in organising a public march at FIGO World Congress in October 2018 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I was a member of the committee for FIGO Declaration for “No to VAW” at the FIGO World Congress. We realised that day that VAW was not only a global challenge but also that women and even men, all over the world were willing to participate in programs combating this issue.
Goal is to sensitize obstetricians and the public about the effect of VAW on Women’s Health to achieve SDG 2030, all key stakeholders need to partner and say No to VAW.