Committee on Obstetric Fistula
With around 2 million women living with obstetric fistula globally, the Committee on Obstetric Fistula is committed to reducing the suffering caused by this devastating, neglected condition and other childbirth-related injuries.
The committee achieves this through the promotion of preventative methods, training and continued support for service providers to increase the availability and accessibility of high-quality treatment so that more women receive timely and life-changing surgical repairs and holistic care.
The committee supports FIGO’s Fistula Surgery Training Initiative, which focuses on building the capacity of trainee fistula surgeons – ‘FIGO Fellows’ – and multidisciplinary teams in fistula-affected countries.
- Providing ad-hoc support to FIGO’s Fistula Surgery Training Initiative
- Technically advising qualified fistula surgeons to maintain and increase their clinical services and run fistula treatment initiatives
- Raising awareness about obstetric fistula and promoting effective prevention methods and holistic obstetric fistula care through advocacy and partnerships
- Promoting evidence-based clinical practice in the treatment of obstetric fistula by initiating and facilitating clinical and social research
- Producing FIGO Fistula Guidelines and educational resources in partnership with the Fistula Surgery Training Initiative’s Expert Advisory Group and Project Team
Dr Rachel Pope, USA
Dr Andrew Browning, Australia – Past Chair
Dr Jeanne Conry, USA – Ex Officio
Dr Fekade Ayenachew, Ethiopia
Dr Shershah Syed, Pakistan
Dr Hillary Mabeya, Kenya
Dr Peter Majinge, Tanzania
Dr Ferry Boekhorst, Netherlands – WATOG
Dr Charles Rochat, Switzerland
Dr Itengre Ouedraogo, Burkina Faso
Ms Gillian Slinger, UK