Committee on Safe Abortion
Access and barriers to safe abortion differ from country to country around the world. In some, abortion is illegal in all aspects, while others have more liberal laws that guarantee access to safe abortion.
The Committee on Safe Abortion will work to guarantee access to safe abortion for all. The committee's main objective is to support FIGO's Member Societies with their work on sexual and reproductive health and wellbeing, with a special focus on access to legal and safe abortion.
The Committee on Safe Abortion Committee is part of the Division of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Wellbeing. This division will work to empower women to make conscious, healthy and respectful choices about their sexuality, relationships and reproductive lives, including when, if and how they wish to become pregnant.
The committee will contribute to this global work by:
- Promoting the importance of incorporating sexual and reproductive health and rights education (including safe abortion as essential health care) into the core medical school curricula, post-graduate training and Continuous Medical Education;
- Supporting member societies in their advocacy work to promote access to legal and safe abortion;
- Promoting training on abortion and post abortion health care;
- Supporting member societies to implement programmes to ensure that every woman and girl receives appropriate abortion care – including through telemedicine;
- Supporting member societies to deliver training programmes on abortion and post abortion health care.
I'm Portuguese and I work in Portugal. Portugal was one of the last European countries to decriminalise abortion. I know the difficulties, barriers and strategies to make abortion safe and accessible to all, including the most vulnerable.
I look forward, with my experience and with the contribution and knowledge from all committee members, to contribute to the overall goal of decreasing morbidity and mortality related to unsafe abortion.
– Dr Teresa Bombas, Committee Chair
Dr Teresa Bombas, Portugal
Dr Laura Gil, Colombia – Vice-Chair
Dr Jaydeep Tank, India – Past Chair
Professor Dame Lesley Regan, UK – Ex Officio
Dr Helena Borges Martins Da Silva Paro, Brazil
Dr Dominique Truan, Chile
Professor Tengiz Asatiani, Georgia
Dr Basab Mukherjee, India
Dr Rodica Comendant, Moldova
Professor Nafissa Osman, Mozambique
Dr Dan Kabonge Kaye, Uganda
Dr Sierra Washington, USA
Dr Musonda Makasa, Zambia
Dr Grant Murewanhema, Zimbabwe – WATOG
Ms Jessica Morris, UK