Committee on Safe Abortion
Access and barriers to safe abortion differ from country to country around the world. In some, abortion is illegal in all aspects, while others have more liberal laws that guarantee access to safe abortion.
The Committee on Safe Abortion will work to guarantee access to safe abortion for all. The committee's main objective is to support FIGO's Member Societies with their work on sexual and reproductive health and wellbeing, with a special focus on access to legal and safe abortion.
The Committee on Safe Abortion Committee is part of the Division of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Wellbeing. This division will work to empower women to make conscious, healthy and respectful choices about their sexuality, relationships and reproductive lives, including when, if and how they wish to become pregnant.
The committee will contribute to this global work by:
- Promoting the importance of incorporating sexual and reproductive health and rights education (including safe abortion as essential health care) into the core medical school curricula, post-graduate training and Continuous Medical Education;
- Supporting member societies in their advocacy work to promote access to legal and safe abortion;
- Promoting training on abortion and post abortion health care;
- Supporting member societies to implement programmes to ensure that every woman and girl receives appropriate abortion care – including through telemedicine;
- Supporting member societies to deliver training programmes on abortion and post abortion health care.
Dr Laura Gil - Colombia
Dr Teresa Bombas - Past-Chair - Portugal
Dr Helena Borges martins Da Silva Paro - Brazil
Dr Dominique Truan - Chile
Professor Tengiz Asatiani - Georgia
Dr Dan Kabonge Kaye - Uganda
Dr Sierra Washington - USA
Dr Musonda Makasa - Zambia
Dr Patrice Trowbridge - USA
Dr Bela Ganatra - Switzerland
Dr Dhammika Perera - UK
Dr Nathalie Kapp - UK
Ms Jessica Morris - UK