Division of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Wellbeing
This division works to empower women to make conscious, healthy and respectful choices about their sexuality, relationships and reproductive lives, including when, if and how they wish to become pregnant. It organises committees that cover topics including contraception and long-acting contraception including intrauterine device use, safe abortion, infertility care, fertility awareness, sexuality and sexual dysfunction.
Recognising that an adequate reproductive life includes adequate contraception, the choice to become pregnant when desired and the ability to decide whether to terminate a pregnancy, the division aims to:
- improve the health and wellbeing of women across their life course worldwide
- enhance the status of all women enabling them to realise their full potential of sexual and reproductive rights and personal wellbeing.
- Promote reproductive rights in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
- Cooperate with FIGO's other divisions, committees and third-party organisations.
- Promote the work of the Division through lectures, webinars, guidelines, toolkits, care bundles, and the participation in meetings and conferences.
- Promote, interpret and distribute research to members that will improve the sexual and reproductive health of women.
- Support members to speak on issues essential to the health and empowerment of women.
- Promote capacity building and universal health coverage to ensure that every woman receives appropriate care, by organising workshops, training courses, self-care schemes and mentorship opportunities that will lead to changes in service delivery.
Dr Ivonne Diaz Yamal, Colombia