Blami Dao is a candidate for the position of FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
Read the video transcript in English, French and Spanish.
Access the original biography provided by the candidate.
- I am a professor of obstetrics and gynecology from Burkina Faso, West Africa.
- I was trained at the University of Dakar in Senegal in medicine, obstetrics, and gynecology.
- I also have a diploma in reproductive medicine and biology from the University of Geneva and a diploma in HIV and reproductive health from the University of Paris VII.
- Before joining Jhpiego (an international NGO affiliated to Johns Hopkins University in Baltiomre, USA) in December 2010, I was a professor of obstetrics and gynecology and vice dean of the school of medicine of the Polytechnic University of Bobo Dioulasso in Burkina Faso. I was also the head of the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the Souro Sanou University Teaching Hospital in Burkina Faso for seven years.
- From 2010-2017 I was the technical director for maternal and newborn health at Jhpiego HQ in Baltimore
- I am actually Jhpiego technical director for West and Central Africa.
- Currently I am also a part-time lecturer at the department of obstetrics and Gynecology of the Johns Hopkins University School of medicine, in Baltimore, USA
- I have worked in both Francophone and Anglophone Africa, in the Caribbean and in Asia for more than 25 years.
Affiliations to professional associations
- For many years, I have been working closely with professional associations including Société Africaine de Gynécologie Obstétrique (SAGO), African and Arab Federation of Obstetrics, Gynecology (AAFOG), French College of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and FIGO.
- I have served on the advisory council of SAGO for 5 years now
- I have served as a member of the FIGO Africa scientific committees and worked with FIGO NCD and pregnancy technical working group.
Collaboration with global health organizations
- I am currently member of WHO Strategic and Technical Advisory Group of Experts (STAGE) which advises WHO Director General on MNCAH and Nutrition issues
- I am also member WHO AFRO Technical advisory group (TAG) on RMNCAH in Africa.
- I was a member of the board of directors of the White Ribbon Alliance a global advocacy organization for women’s health
I have published more than 60 peer-reviewed papers and I am involved in peer-review activities with journals such as the African Journal of Reproductive Health, Journal of Sexual of Reproductive Health (Elsevier), PLoS One and BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth.
- In 2004 I received the FIGO Distinguished Community Service Award for my work in Emergency Obstetric Care.
- Co-winner of the David Liu 2017/2018 prize of best paper of the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Fully bilingual, French and English