Committee on Contraception and Family Planning
- Identify needs and new approaches to contraception and family planning, including user and provider perspectives, to provide more effective access to information, services and supples in challenging times.
- Engage key audiences and provider groups using a variety of communications strategies.
- Address needs of underserved populations, ie young people, faith-based groups and marginalised populations.
- Link with relevant FIGO and other committees and key organisations.
Recent Committee Activities
- Presented a President’s Webinar on work during the Covid crisis.
- Collaborated with Safe Abortion Committee on FIGO Statement.
- Drafted FIGO Statement on Contraception and Family Planning during COVID.
- Worked with FIGO Communication’s Team for publication in the monthly newsletter and using diverse social media channel, six Call Out Boxes with real time examples of how to best operationalise elements made in the FIGO Statement on Contraception and Family Planning in the time of COVID.
- Participated in the Kigali Regional Conference, organised two Plenary Sessions.
- Published an editorial in International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Published article for IJGO on Post-Partum IUD Experience in 10 countries.
- Developing ASK DR. FIGO, an internet based platform for conversation between young people and FIGO National Society physicians. Ethiopia is the proof of concept country with Ethiopian Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, ESOG. Once launched, Ask Dr. FIGO platform will be available to all member societies to use.
- Membership drawn from key international organisations in the field. [to build, engage, partner and and collaborate with others sharing FIGO’s mission/mandate] Half from FIGO, half from outside organisations.
- Half are physicians, half are social scientists.
- A 50/50 split between men and women
- Variety in geographic regions
Members 2018 - 2021:
- Ms Jill Sheffield, Chair - USA
- Mr John Townsend - The Population Council
- Ms Petra ten Hoope-Bender - UNFPA
- Ms Megan Elliott - Marie Stopes International
- Mr Josh Lozman - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Professor Gamal Serour - Al Ahzar University, Egypt
- Mr Ian Askew - IPPF/WHO
- Dr Jotham Musinguzi - The Population Council (Uganda)
- Professor Sabaratnam Arulkumaran
- Awa Coll Seck - Al Ahzar University Egypt
- Professor Lesley Regan - Ex officio
- Dr Anita Makins - FIGO PPIUD Programme - Ex officio
Get in touch with the committee
If you'd like to get in touch with our Committee on Contraception and Family Planning, please use the contact us link above.